Food Reactions, Sensitivities and Allergies
• Food Allergy denotes an immunological reaction involving an anti-body response
• Food sensitivity is an intolerance or reaction to a food which does not involve an immunological reaction.
What are some of the causes of Food Allergies and Sensitivities?
Food allergies are multi-factorial and there does not seem to be any one cause. Any of the following will contribute to the development of allergies and reactions.
• Genetic predisposition may be the most prevalent cause of food allergies
- Both parents, then 67% of offspring, one parent, then 33% of offspring
- Early exposure to allergenic foods while in utero
- You can help your children by avoiding all allergic foods while pregnant and while breastfeeding.
• Early exposure to highly allergenic foods as an infant
- It is best to follow a food introduction sheet, introduce one food at a time and apply the 4 day wait rule.
• Poor digestion of foods and GI dysbiosis (leaky gut)
- Leaky gut is caused by: SAD, over use of antibiotics without replacing probiotics, chronic antacid use.
- Causes macromolecules to be absorbed and then the body then becomes sensitized to them.
- Largest molecules and hardest to break down are proteins (gluten, casein, soy, corn, nuts)
• Frequent exposure to the same food
- Can cause the body to become sensitized to these foods.
• Decreased adrenal function
- Increased cortisol = decreased IgA, therefore the mucosal membrane is left vulnerable = immune response = increase in food allergies.
• Increased exposure to various environmental toxins
- Increased the bodies sensitivity/inflammation threshold
What are some of the signs and symptoms associated with food allergies/sensitivities?
• In children:
- Allergenic shiners
- Chronic sinus drainage
- Bed wetting
- Stomach aches or abdominal pains
- Chronic ear infections
- Chronic tonsillitis
- Eczema, hives or other skin disorders
- Alternating constipation and diarrhea
- Foul smelling breath, feet, stools or perspiration
- Food cravings
- Trouble concentrating
• In Adults:
- Joint pain
- Gallbladder pain
- Ulcerative colitis and/or Crohns Disease
- Digestive Problems (IBS)
- Chronic infections – various organ systems
- Low back or upper back pain
- Migraine headaches
- Skin conditions (eczema, psoriasis, hives, acne)
- Autoimmune disease (RA, MS, Lupus, scleroderma)
- Fluid retention and weight grain
- Inability to lose weight
What happens if food allergies and sensitivities are left undiagnosed and untreated?
- The patient will continue to suffer from the symptoms and the degree of symptom with continue to increase
- New symptoms with appear as well as reactions to new foods which were once “safe-foods”
- The eventual development of autoimmune disease due to the constant and daily insult on the immune system
- They will not resolve on spontaneously
What are the different types of allergies?
• Immediate (IgE)
- Skin Prick Testing
- These are the anaphylactic reactions such as the swelling of the throat and respiratory distress.
• Delayed Sensitivity (IgG)
- Blood Analysis
- Can be delayed for up to 72 hours, therefore the milk in your morning latte could be causing your migraine the next evening.
What can we do to help people with delayed sensitivity IgG allergies or food sensitivities?
• Accurately identify the offending foods so they can be successfully removed from the diet
• Improve digestive system
- Heal leaky gut
- Harmonize the gut dysbiosis
- Improve food breakdown and absorption
• Normalize the Immune system
- An over sensitive immune system will cause the person to react to normal compounds as if they are foreign invaders.
The Food Allergy Package offered by Dr. Kim Bruno at the Colorado Center of Health and Nutrition:
• New Patient Consultation – Comprehensive history of all organ systems and detailed info which is pertinent to the development of food reactions.
• Blood draw for IgG Delayed Sensitivity reactions – testing of the most common 94 foods
• Follow-up consultation – Report of findings of allergy blood panel with a comprehensive explanation of the results and treatment plan.
• Development of a uniquely tailored treatment plan to help the individual minimize reactions and therefore eliminate symptoms in the body.
Testimonials for Dr. Bruno’s Treatment:
“For the first time in years I have been able to lose the weight I have been working so hard to get off.” – BG Loveland
“Dr. Bruno took the time to listen to me and through the testing we were able to specifically nail down my problem. ALL of my symptoms have disappeared and I am feeling the best I have ever felt!” – GS – Loveland
“My family has told me that after the treatment with Dr. Bruno I look the best I have in 10 years.” – GB – Fort Collins
“Since the allergy testing and following my treatment plan, my endurance sports training has improved, I have lost weight, my digestion is better and all of my skin issues have cleared up.” – KM – Fort Collins