Homemade Ginger-ale – upset stomach support!
Homemade Ginger Ale: Your Fort Collins Nutritionist makes a home remedy to decrease inflammation, soothe the stomach and help to knock out nasty microbes.
The nasty norovirus continues to circle the globe, and even with great nutrition, hand washing, and immune support supplements our family found itself in the viruses wake. It was bound to happen as my daughter is in preschool and that place is a petri dish of nasty viruses and bacteria – gross!
Well when the virus first hit I went my first though was “We need some Ginger-Ale”. I remember every time I got sick as I child I was given ginger-ale, and that was the only time we ever had it. I associated ginger ale with being sick but not until doctorate school did I know why. Ginger is a powerful botanical anti-inflammatory as well as a GI soother. Combine this with the carbonation and your have the perfect stomach virus drink. But when you examine the premade ginger-ale at the local grocery store you will find it is mostly high fructose corn syrup and many brands do not actually contain ginger – which remember should be the active ingredient needed to soothe the upset stomach and decrease inflammation. Also traditional ginger drinks do not contain any ingredients to actually help with the microbial imbalance in the gut. Therefore I decided to make my own version of ginger ale to really help my family get over this virus. Worked like a charm!
- 1 Liter Sparkling Mineral Water – I found the lime or lemon flavors are the best, please ensure no artificial sweeteners or flavors are added, and if does go with the unflavored.
- Whole ginger root – a piece the size of your palm
- 2 packets of Arbonne Essentials Digestion Plus – complete with prebiotics, probiotics and digestive enzymes. (message me for more info on this great product!)
- Squeeze of 1/2 lemon
- Pour the liter of mineral water into a large mason jar, allow a couple inches of space in the top.
- Slice ginger into thin pieces
- Combine the ginger, digestion plus packets and fresh lemon juice in the mineral water. Stir gently as not to have the carbonation bubble over.
- Tightly screw on the top of the jar and place in the refrigerator.
- Let sit for at least 4 hours to allow it to steep
In Good Health,
Dr. Kim Bruno
Our Fort Collins Nutrition clinic specializes in improving your health through balanced nutrition and functional healthcare. We treat: weight loss, metabolic syndrome, GI health and balancing, food sensitivities and allergies, celiac disease, thyroid and adrenal imbalances. We thank you for considering us for part of your health care team.