Today, the nutritional status and therefore overall health of our children is at risk, and conditions like obesity, allergies, ADHD, Type 2 diabetes, heart disease and cancer are rising significantly among our children and youth. The Center for Disease Prevention is predicting that this generation may be the only generation in modern history where the kids may not outlive their parents. And doctors from institutions such as Yale University predict that if this trend continues, there will be more premature deaths from poor eating, obesity and lack of activity among our youth than from smoking, drugs and alcohol combined.
This is frightening news! We have to wake up and do something about this growing health problem among our kids.
- About 25% of our children are overweight or obese in the United States. With over 6 million kids seriously overweight and this number is increasing.
- In the last 20 years, Type 2 diabetes has increased 10-fold.
- Over 8 million children have asthma, up 232% in the last 40 years.
- 90% of the “food” eaten in America is processed.
- Americans spend more money on fast food than on higher education.
- 1st generation where water is not beverage of choice.
- Average American consumes the equivalent of a 5 lb. bag of sugar per week.
- Less than 7% of children and adolescents consume the recommended 2 servings of fruit and 3 servings of vegetables per day.
Nutrition is often in the “blind spot” of parenting today, and sadly our children are paying the price. There’s a tremendous need to educate our parents and children on the importance of proper whole food nutrition and prevention of many of these chronic diseases through lifestyle medicine. Knowing this need, Dr. Bruno counsels kids and families on proper nutrition and lifestyle medicine in the hopes that we can change the above statistics.
Do you think food can affect more than just the waist line of our children? You are right! Food choices and quality can also affect a wide variety of new conditions we are seeing in our children. Food allergies, immune system dysfunction, asthma, behavior and learning disorders and even skin issues can all be better managed if at the foundation of their treatment plan are specific nutrition plans, which are unique to that condition.
If your child, or a child you know, is suffering from any health condition it would be helpful to their treatment plan to consult with Dr. Bruno to see how a good nutritional foundation can improve their life on a day to day basis.